Another gas station bites the dust. As first reported by the Georgetown Metropolitan, the Valero gas station located at 2715 Pennsylvania Avenue NW has been demolished to make way for a five-story, mixed-use building. The Georgetown building located on the site dated back to 1951 and originally housed the Lord Baltimore gas station. After it was constructed, the Progressive Citizens Association gave the building an award of merit in 1953 for being “modern and practical yet keeping with the tradition of the early architecture of Old Georgetown.”
The building that will take the gas station’s place is planned by developer Eastbanc. UrbanTurf reports that the building will feature a restaurant topped by eight residential units averaging 2,000 square feet.
The architect behind the project is Eduardo Souto de Moura.
• Pennsylvania and M St. Gas Station Demolished [The Georgetown Metropolitan]