In November 2016, Washington, D.C.’s oldest synagogue, Adas Israel Synagogue, began a two-phase relocation. UrbanTurf recently reported that the project is seeking further zoning approvals in order to relocate the 1876-built property at Third and G streets NW to 575 Third Street NW. Curbed DC has also received new renderings of the project with an inside look at how the museum will be redeveloped.
“... the more-detailed plans propose a four-story museum alongside the 4,165 square-foot Adas Israel Synagogue, which will sit on an elevated plinth. Along F Street, an entrance plaza and courtyard will separate the two buildings, which will have an interior walkway connecting them.”
This is the second time it has ever been relocated. DCist reported that Ulysses S. Grant went to its dedication ceremony, becoming the first sitting U.S. president to attend a Jewish service. In 1908, the congregation outgrew the space and moved to a newer synagogue nearby.
61 years later, the Washington Metro Transit Authority planned to construct a new headquarters on the site and threatened to demolish the building if it wasn’t moved. From 6th and G streets NW, it was relocated to Third and G streets NW. Over the years, the property has had a variety of uses, from a barber shop to a dentist’s office to a real estate agency to a grocery to a bicycle shop. It is now home to the Lillian and Albert Small Jewish Museum.
Property Group Partners with Wolfe House and Building Movers are behind the relocation with the intent to create more room to build the 2.2 million-square-foot project, known as Capitol Crossing. The project will feature five LEED Platinum-certified buildings on seven acres of land in Downtown.
• A New Home for Historic Synagogue Near Capitol Crossing [UrbanTurf]
• Watch D.C.’s oldest synagogue move with these 10 photos [Curbed DC]