Since 2007, the MuralsDC program has installed murals in every Ward in Washington, D.C., and now 10 more are on their way.
The Department of Public Works (DPW) and the Commission on the Arts and Humanities (CAH) announced that they will paint the new murals in Wards 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, and 8. DCist reported that they are expected to complete by mid-October.
Already, work has begun on a mural on the alley wall of 624 T Street NW, adjacent to the Howard Theatre, and at 1210 V Street NW, adjacent to Ben’s Chili Bowl. The first mural is being completed by artists Kate DeCiccio and Rose Jaffe, while the latter one is being painted by Madrid-based Alberto Clerencia.
According to a press release, the purpose of MuralsDC is to curb graffiti in Washington, D.C. To celebrate the 10 years that the program has been organized, the CAH increased funding this year for the program.
In a statement, CAH Executive Director Arthur Espinoza said, “For 10 years, MuralsDC has enriched the city’s landscape with colorful monuments and provided original backdrops for everything from photo selfies, to music videos, to weddings. But most important to CAH is that we have helped to build the portfolio of many of our local artists and provided them opportunities that have contributed to their success.”
Below, check out the full list of where the murals will be located:
- 624 T Street NW (Kate DeCiccio and Rose Jaffe)
- 2017 11th Street NW (Michael Crossett and Skyler Kelly)
- 1026 U Street NW (Kaliq Crosby)
- 1210 V Street NW (Alberto Clerencia)
- 1738 14th Street NW (Federico “Mas Paz” Frum)
- 2603 Connecticut Avenue NW (Karl Addison)
- 1399 Half Street SW (Eric B. Ricks)
- 1830 Constitution Avenue NE (Jesse Gene Stark)
- 3439 Benning Road NE (Cita Sadeli)
- 1919 15th Street SE (Joe Pagac)
For a look at where all of the murals will be located, check out the following map, created by DCist.