For $16.4 million, the philanthropic organization The Wyss Foundation has purchased the historic Thomas Nelson Page House, as reported by Washington Business Journal. The Dupont Circle property is located at 1759 R Street NW and was previously home to the American Institute for Cancer Research.
Currently, The Wyss Foundation’s headquarters are at 1601 Connecticut Avenue NW. The organization was founded in 1998 with the intention to support land conservation, children’s health, and social justice.
According to Washington Business Journal, the Thomas Nelson Page House was constructed in 1896 for lawyer and writer Thomas Nelson Page and later added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. According to the National Register of Historic Places nomination form, the home was “the chief literary-social center of the South.” The architect behind the structure was Stanford White of McKim, Mead & White.
• Historic Dupont Circle home of Thomas Nelson Page sells to one of D.C.'s top foundations [Washington Business Journal]