Washington, D.C.’s oldest unchanged building, dating back before the Revolutionary War, will close its doors to the public from October 30, 2017, through December 2018.
DCist reported that Georgetown’s Old Stone House needs a new fire-suppression system, restored exterior stonework, upgraded plumbing, electrical, and HVAC systems, and a stabilized foundation.
When the structure was originally built in circa 1765, it was both a home and a shop for a cabinetmaker, known as Christopher Layman. In the 1950s, it was used as a car dealership before it reopened as a “house museum” in 1960, offering visitors a glimpse at pre-Revolutionary architecture and furnishings. In 1973, the allegedly haunted house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Before the Old Stone House closes, it will have reduced hours from 11 a.m. to 3:$5 p.m. on Wednesdays through Sundays.
• Washington, D.C.’s 16 oldest houses, mapped [Curbed DC]