In 2015, the Textile Museum was one of Washington, D.C.’s priciest real estate sales of the year, selling for $19 million to an anonymous buyer. Now, the new owner of the property, located at 2320-2330 S Street NW, plans to convert the 29,000-square-foot property into one of the city’s largest homes. Construction is expected to begin this year and will take 14 months to complete.
UrbanTurf reported that Barnes Vanze Architects will renovate the exterior of the property as well as the roofs and driveways. A geothermal system will also be installed. Pergolas located at 2320 S Street NW will be restored, while a terrace will be expanded.
For the rear terrace of 2330 S Street, a limestone-and-glass garden room will also be added. Once the renovations are complete, the carriage house will also be restored as a groundskeeper’s residence, according to UrbanTurf.
Waddy B. Wood and partners constructed the 16,000-square-foot structure at 2330 S Street NW in 1908. John Russell Pope, the same architect behind the Thomas Jefferson Memorial, designed the roughly 13,000-square-foot building at 2320 S Street NW as well as a nearby carriage house.
In 1915, the two properties were joined. This was so that the Myers family, who constructed the latter structure, could display and store their textile collection, as reported by UrbanTurf. The properties were later added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
In 2015, the Textile Museum relocated to George Washington University.