With plans to close D.C. General once and for all, the D.C. Council unanimously voted in favor of a revised homeless shelter plan approved by Mayor Muriel Bowser. This plan calls for seven new shelters located in seven separate wards. Below, see where the shelters will be located and how many units each is planned to have:
- Ward 1: 2105-2107 10th Street NW (29 units)
- Ward 3: 3320 Idaho Avenue NW (50 units)
- Ward 4: 5505 5th Street NW (49 units)
- Ward 5: 1700 Rhode Island Avenue NE (50 units)
- Ward 6: 850 Delaware Avenue SW (50 units)
- Ward 7: 5004 D Street SE (35 units)
- Ward 8: 4200 6th Street SE (50 units)
WAMU reported that the construction on the shelters is expected to complete by the start of the 2018 winter season.
For more information on the months-long process it took to reach this stage, be sure to read more from DCist or WAMU.
• D.C. Council Harmoniously Passes Homeless Shelter Plan [DCist]
• With Final Vote, D.C. Moves To Close D.C. General Homeless Shelter [WAMU]