clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Watch D.C.’s oldest synagogue move with these 10 photos

Once fully relocated, Adas Israel Synagogue’s new home will be at 3rd and F streets NW

This Thursday, Washington, D.C.’s oldest synagogue began relocating from 3rd and G streets NW to 3rd and F streets NW.

The 1876-built property, known as the Adas Israel Synagogue, is home to the Lillian and Albert Small Jewish Museum. The move will be done in two phases and won’t complete for another 24 to 30 months.

This is the second time it has ever been relocated. DCist reported that Ulysses S. Grant went to its dedication ceremony, becoming the first sitting U.S. president to attend a Jewish service. In 1908, the congregation outgrew the space and moved to a newer synagogue nearby.

Then, 61 years later, the Washington Metro Transit Authority planned to construct a new headquarters on the site and threatened to demolish the building if it wasn’t moved. From 6th and G streets NW, it was relocated to Third and G streets NW. Over the years, the property has had a variety of uses, from a barber shop to a dentist’s office to a real estate agency to a grocery to a bicycle shop.

Property Group Partners with Wolfe House and Building Movers are behind the relocation with the intent to create more room to build the 2.2 million-square-foot project, known as Capitol Crossing. The project will feature five Platinum LEED-certified buildings on seven acres of land in Downtown.

Photos: D.C.'s First And Oldest Synagogue Moves For The Second Time [DCist]

Adas Israel Synagogue

3rd & G Street, NW, Washington, D.C.