There are plans to construct a 130-foot addition to the National Bank of Washington, located at 14th and G streets NW. First reported by UrbanTurf, the addition would house office and retail space. An office building would be demolished at 1336-42 G Street NW to make room for the development.
There would be a total of 7,775 square feet of ground-floor retail, topped by office space and a penthouse space. Amenities would include underground parking and a bicycle parking room. The location is only a block away from the Metro Center Metro station.
UrbanTurf further reported that the Historic Preservation Review Board granted conceptual approval to the project last month. The developer of the project is Lincoln Property Company, while the architect is Shalom Baranes Associates.
The early-twentieth-century bank was designed by prominent bank and skyscraper architect Alfred C. Bossom, in association with J.H. de Sibour, one of D.C.’s leading proponents of Beaux-Arts principles, according to the Washington Business Journal.
• Lipstick on a pig: How D.C. and the Downtown BID tried to mask a dreary corner [Washington Business Journal]