Last August, Curbed learned that there were plans to not only reconstruct Frager's Hardware in Capitol Hill, but to add residential and retail space above the development as well. Now, further details have been released by UrbanTurf and Washington Business Journal on what to expect from the redevelopment. D.C.-based Perseus Realty LLC and development partner Javelin19 plan on constructing three floors of 40 to 50 condos and two retail spaces above the building at 1101-1117 Pennsylvania Avenue SE. The new project will be called 1101 Penn and will be designed by Hickok Cole. UrbanTurf reported that there will be a focus on larger units with two- and three-bedroom units. There are also hopes to fill the retail spaces with a restaurant and coffee shop, according to Washington City Paper.
Since June 2013, the location has been vacant since a fire sparked by a discarded cigarette destroyed the property. Since then, Frager's has operated out of four temporary locations, including 1323 E Street SE, 1115 Pennsylvania Avenue SE, 1129 Pennsylvania Avenue SE, and 1230 Pennsylvania Avenue SE. Once the redevelopment is complete, Frager's will move back into the original building, taking up the ground-floor, below-grade, and outdoor space.
· Frager's To Return To Old Location, But With Condos On Top [Washington City Paper]
· Frager's Hardware Inks Deal to Return to Original Location [DCist]
· Frager's Signs Deal to Return to Former Location Along With 40 Condos [Hill Now]
· Iconic Frager's Hardware acquired. Will be rebuilt and topped with condos. [Washington Business Journal]
· Exclusive: 40 to 50 Condos, Retail Planned For Frager's Hardware Site [UrbanTurf]
· Fire-Ravaged Capitol Hill Storefront to Be Reconstructed with Residential and Retail Added [Curbed DC]