[Photo via Flickr user rockcreek]
There weren't neighborhood blogs and alt-weeklies in 1960s Washington, D.C. but there were five different newspapers. One of them was the E.W. Scripps-owned Washington Daily News. The paper, which gained notoriety for its war coverage and Pulitzer prize winning photography published from 1921 until 1972 when it merged with the Washington Star. However, this 13th Street office was only in use during the 1960s and early 1970s. Today, the building across from the fire department where the Daily News headquarters once stood is a newer and taller office building anchored by the UPS Store. Still, another Washington paper of record may soon move in on that block.
· The Washington Daily News [Wikipedia]
· All Looking Back Posts [CDC]