Opened in 1877, the F.G. Smith Piano Company was the place to see and try the latest models of Bradbury Pianos. After the Bradbury Company had been sold to Freeborn Garretson Smith in 1867, Smith opened showrooms across the country. The Washington location, 1225 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, opened ten years after Smith passed away. The building is now 1201 Pennsylvania Ave, completed in 1981, and houses law firm Covington & Burling as well as restaurant Elephant & Castle.
Image of F.G. Smith's new piano showroom, 1225 Pennsylvania Ave., 2/22/1891 Sunday Herald and National Weekly Intelligencer.