[Photo from the Washington Times via Flickr user rockcreek]
Nowadays, Sibley Memorial Hospital is over in the Palisades in the far west side of the city. However, from the late 1800s through the 1950s, the medical center resided on North Capitol Street. In fact, the building in the photo, the Lucy Webb Hayes Training School for Deaconesses and Missionaries was actually the predecessor to the hospital. Lucy Webb Hayes was the wife of President Rutherford B. Hayes and the first president of the Woman's Home Missionary Society that founded this training school in 1890. Under the recommendation of the school (and with the generous funding of William J. Sibley), Sibley Memorial Hospital opened five years later in 1895. The Lucy Webb Hayes National Training School, shown above, was demolished in 1912 to build an expansion for the hospital. Sibley Memorial Hospital moved to its current campus in 1961. 1150 North Capitol Street NW is now an apartment building.
· A Short History of Sibley Memorial Hospital [Official Site]
· All Looking Back Posts [CDC]