Sure, White Flint isn't the first place people think of as a desired destination. But Federal Realty is going to spend the next few years giving the now-depressing neighborhood one of the biggest revitalization projects the area has ever seen. Twenty-four acres of construction are going to become the Pike & Rose development filled with hundreds of residential units, offices, stores, and transit-friendly roads. The exact location is where Montrose Parkway, Rockville Pike and Old Georgetown Road meet near the existing White Flint Metro in Montgomery County. Developers have dubbed this the 'rePIKEalization' and have big, big plans. We've listed the ten most interesting facts after the jump.
1) There will be 1,500 residential units (a mixture of rentals and properties for purchase). Phase One, is expected to open in 2014, and includes approximately 500 residential units that are a mix of studios up to 3-bedrooms, plus penthouse suites with luxury amenities.
2) A total of 1.1 million square feet of office space is part of the plan.
3) There will be 250,000 square feet of hotel space, with room for a 300-key boutique hotel.
4) A number of rooftops will be 'vegetated' and smaller parks will be built around the buildings as they are completed. In 2012 they started the Pike Central Farm Market.
5) The development is built with easy access to White Flint Metro Station (which is three-quarters of a mile from Pike & Rose). They're building a new Metro entrance that is closer to the development and will create bike/pedestrian friendly thoroughfares.
6) According to the map, it is seven miles from downtown DC.
7) Part of the development is $500M in infrastructure improvements to the streets and transit Rockville Pike transit system. They are going to redesign the street grid for better traffic flow.
8) The first anchor tenant for one of their building is an eight screen iPic Movie Theater that will include the company's higher-end dining and entertainment options. There will be: wine and freshly cooked meals, all-reserved seating, premium seating with reclining chairs, pillows, & blankets, and tables for people to use instead of their laps. It will be the first iPic for the East Coast.
9) Other tenants that have signed on include: Tanzy Restaurant and Salt Bar.
10) When complete the new White Flint District is expected to house approximately 40,000 employees and 20,000 residents.
· Pike and Rose [Official Site]
All images from Federal Realty