The recent news of the death of Betty Ford brought out many stories of the more than twenty years the Fords spent living in Alexandria before Gerald Ford became President. This house was one they built in 1955 and they lived there until they moved into the White House in 1973. Ford was already a Congressman by that point, so building the four bed, two bath was an expense they could afford. The house is now on the National Register Of Historic Places, but even that didn't make it immune from the housing downturn. It last sold in May of 2009 for $735,000, but not after a slide down the price chop ladder. Perhaps its reputation as a party house was partly to blame.
· Betty Ford Dead At 93 [AP via Yahoo News]
· Gerald Ford In Alexandria [City Of Alexandria]
· Listing: 514 Crown View Drive [Sawbuck]
· Sale Price: 514 Crown View Drive [Frankly MLS]
· Ford's Former Home Languishes On The Market [WaPo]